Learn top 10 key lessons (aka. modules) of data visualisation, storytelling theory, best practices, and real-world data games /exercises
Travel may be paused, but we remain committed to helping people learn to effectively communicate with Data through stories whether in person or virtually.To that end, we are transitioning our next public workshop on “Data Storytelling Skills” into a virtual live training experience.
“Data Storytelling Skills”
Module 1: Understanding the Audience
Starting with the audience and the core message in mind
- Building for the audience
- Segmenting and narrowing your audience
- Designing for the context
- Connecting to the core idea and message
Module 2: Deciding the right visual
What visual works for which message?
- Build your visual vocabulary
- Selecting the right visuals and charts
- The important chart rules (Do’s & Don’ts)
Module 3: Declutter the message
Eliminating the distractions and get to the right message
- The V method for chart junk
Module 4: Questioning the numbers
Practice with the mistakes of others
- Learning by looking at examples of good communication
- Good charts and bad charts
Module 5: Focus Attention
Deliberately manage the audience attention
- Focus attention on the right elements
- The use of colour in data
- Typography, imagery and icons
Module 6: Design and Aesthetic
Use design tips and tactics to get the edge
Module 7: Chart redesign
Makeovers to learn from
- Makeovers of visuals & Exercise
Module 8: Narrative Structure for a story
Connecting the story to the visuals and the message
- Learning from storytelling in movies, books and plays
- Comparisons and story in data
- Creating conflict: Hero vs Villain
Module 9: Presenting a Data Story
Practice and learn from peers
- Participants get to present a story
- Peer review and feedback
Module 10: Examples of Data Stories done well
Learn from the masters
The focus will be on best practices and is not tool-specific (examples are primarily Excel-based, but concepts can be applied in any graphing application, analytical or presentation software)
Then there is the bonus that is provided to you:
- A certificate of completion
- One on one 20 min Q&A session with Neil Montes
- Data Presentation feedback recommendation to each participant
- Individual homework exercise feedback to each participant
- Each module has home exercises
- A workbook with “How to” Chart exercises
- The Data Storytelling checklist
- A Compilation of links of secret data tools that help you be awesome
About the Speaker
Neil Montes is well-known as a thought leader at the intersection of marketing, data science, and technology with 15+ years’ experience. He has helped businesses increase their revenue and profitability by teaching them how to employ data storytelling, analytics, processes and tools to improve business performance.
He is an MBA from NMIMS, Mumbai and has worked with and consulted with some leading Indian and global companies such as PayPal, eClerx Services, SAS Institute, Idea, Dell, Autodesk, Walmart, Citibank, Universal Music, GE, Lenovo among others.
His previous roles have been Senior Consultant with SAS Institute selling customer intelligence products involving marketing technology, AI and Visual Analytics, Vice President with eClerx Services for Data Science and Marketing Operations, Consultant with PayPal Singapore for Data & Marketing Operations.
Some real feedback from our workshops this year
“I had a review meeting with the leadership, 1 week after and making a deck felt so easy and the outcome was so powerful that I immediately contacted Neil for some additional guidance to deepen my skills further” - ( Ms K Ingale - Sr Digital Analytics Team - Vodafone Idea Ltd.)
He did a brilliant job of getting my whole team stretching their communication skills. Mind it, these people had 6-12 years of experience working with data before. It was a great combination of hard & soft skills training. (Mr F Rodrigues - Head, Business Insights & Data Labs - HDFC Life Insurance)
So, Is it for me? Target Audience
- If you need to communicate numbers, data or make presentations, you should attend.
- Are you responsible for representing data in your day-to-day job? Is it important for you to be able to tell stories through charts and presentations?
- A manager? An analyst? From these functions…Marketing, Finance, Operations, HR, Leadership, etc……..
Forbes called it the Data Science and Communication skill for everyone. Linkedin put it in the top 5 things to get better at in 2020.
The Special Sauce
- This is an interactive live workshop with feedback and discussions and not comparable to any other online recorded training in the market
- There are home exercises, data games and a path ahead provided, making it an experiential workshop.
- We take a survey after each workshop and we have always scored excellent (4.83/5) with people loving the clarity, great content and energising inputs
- This workshop is an essential part of the leadership training, communication training and data science training of leading Indian and Global companies
- There are workbooks, freebies, checklists provided as a bundle at the most optimum initial price
- It is up to date and cutting edge. (We even added coronavirus examples..)
- The speaker is an initial member of The Global Data Visualisation Society where global experts share knowledge on the best practices and experiences that find a way in this course
- This is a course with an established certificate that you can add to your resume to show your learned skill in working and communicating with data
So just go ahead and book this very rare training that is being provided at a very promotional pricing.